The first version of the PnP remote provisioning engine was released with the May 2015 release. For the June 2016 release we have continued to add new supported capabilities and made significant improvements from stability perspective for both Office 365 and on-premises. This list contains the main updates that have been added in the June 2016 release:
- General overall quality and performance improvements for on-premises and online
- New OpenXML based support for provisioning templates – When serializing template with assets, you can generate automatically .pnp file, which contains all the assets related on the template
- Support for lookup fields pointing from sub site to root web
- Support for folders in AzureStorageConnector
- Support for extracting multi-lingual resources values
- Other multi-lingual support improvements
- Updated base templates for the SPO, 2013 and 2016 – used in delta handling
We are planning to release new schema version and some new capabilities as part of the June 2016 release. This new version will contain few missing pieces from the current design, which will be also addressed gradually in the PnP provisioning engine.
This is similar effort as what PnP initiative previously has done with the PnP CSOM Core Component together with community.
You can read more details around the v1.0 capabilities from following release blog post at MSDN or from GitHub wiki pages:
- PnP JS Core Library – GitHub Wiki pages
We have done general cleaning in the repository related on Nuget package updates and also removed some samples, which are no longer relevant. We are planning to continue these cleaning activities during the next months as well to streamline the repository and to combine some samples for reducing the overall number of similar samples.
There’s also significant amount of general updates on the existing samples done by the community on the code and documentation, which is great way to contribute as well.
- PnP Core: Lots of re-factoring done to improve code quality and completeness:
- provisioning engine updates (see above)
- Eanbled and DisableResponsiveUI extension methods to web object
- Support for adding navigation nodes at beginning or end
- Set SearchCenter URLs at site level
- Extension methods to start a new workflow instance from web or site level
- Convert a folder to document set
- General bug fixing, performance and quality improvements
- Updated to use latest CSOM version for SharePoint Online
- Automated documentation updated to md file
- Removal of deprecated methods
- Build and test automation improvements with unit test changes
- All PnP Core Nuget packages (cloud and on-premises) updated with new version
- Official v1.0 version released as npm package
- New sample Core.DownloadMultipleFilesJS that shows how to add download multiple files functionality to SharePoint document libraries by adding “download all files” and “download files as zip” to library ribbon as custom actions.
- New sample BusinessApps.O365ProjectsApp which contains code samples for upcoming book “Programming Office 365” for Microsoft Press. In particular it contains samples for: Office 365 Applications, Remote Timer Job and Graph SDK
- New solution AspNetCore.Authentication An ASP.NET Core implementation of the TokenHelper and SharePointContext classes for use in SharePoint Apps. This library (and sample) demonstrates how to get ASP.NET Core provider-hosted apps authenticated through SharePoint.
- Updated Provisioning.Extensibility sample to use latest extensibility interface
- Updated Core.ProfilePictureUploader to support multi-lingual my sites as well
- Updated Core.TaxonomyPicker component with small styling fixes and improved handling of the dom structure updates
- Updated Provisioning.UX.App provisioning solution with small updates
- Updated solution Provisioning.VSTools with small adjustments and bug fixes
- Updated PnP-PowerShell Commands with new CommandLets and with few fixes
- Overall quality improvements and bug fixes
- Added support for new pnp OpenXML templates
- -CreateDrive option for Connect-SPOnline CmdLets for file system like access to SPO sites
- New CmdLet Get-SPOFolderItem for file access in SPO
- New CmdLets Enable-SPOResponsiveUI and Disable-SPOResponsiveUI for applying PnP Responsive UI package to sites with single Cmdlet call
- New CmdLet Add-SPODocumentSet to add a new document set
- New CmdLet Remove-SPOFolder
- Updated help details for CmdLets
- New Invoke-SPOWebAction Cmdlet which lets to iterate sites, lists and lsit items and execute provided delegated methods on the target.
- Updated documentation for CmdLets
- Updates to the PnP Partner Pack
- Small adjustments around the implementation for upcoming v2.0 release (later)
- Setup guidance improvements
- Updated to use the latest Nuget package for SharePoint Online
PnP Guidance articles
he PnP Guidance repository contains guidance articles which are published at MSDN. Starting from end of May this process was changed to be fully automated and there’s automatic contributors list in the MSDN side showing who have been providing updates to these documents. We are looking forward on your contributions around real life learnings in different areas. Read more details around this open publishing model from following blog post
Here’s a sample article with Contribute option and list of contributors for it
As part of this change, we also released significant amount of new content in the MSDN. You can find for example farm solution to add-in model transformation recipes in the MSDN now at following location
PnP Guidance videos
We did not release any new guidance videos during this month on top of the new web cast videos mentioned already above in this blog post. You can find all PnP videos from our Channel 9 section at http://aka.ms/OfficeDevPnPVideos. This location contains already significant amount of detailed training material, demo videos and community call recordings. We are considering option to move to Youtube with the video channel for more control with play lists, so that you can find more easily what you are looking for.