The first version of the PnP remote provisioning engine was released with the May 2015 release. For the September 2016 release we have continued to add new supported capabilities and made significant improvements from stability perspective for both SharePoint Online and SharePoint on-premises (2013 and 2016). This list contains the main updates that have been added in the September 2016 release:
- General overall quality and performance improvements for on-premises and online
- Added support for IsVisible attribute for NavigationNode elements
- Significant unit/integration test improvements
- Updated base templates for the SPO, 2013 and 2016 – used in delta handling
See also https://testautomation.sharepointpnp.com/ for day-to-day results and executed tests.
PnP Partner Pack 2.0
We are happy to release PnP Partner Pack v2.0 with significant new capabilities for partners and customers to use in their SharePoint Online deployment. PnP Partner Pack is a starter kit for building typical SharePoint customizations using add-in model techniques. It’s Azure AD based deployment, which provides centralized control on site templates and branding management, among the other things. Here’s the key capabilities in the PnP Partner Pack v2.0:
- Architectural changes
- Support for self-consistent Open XML .PNP template files, instead of .XML template files. Backward compatibility with already created .XML templates.
- Support for external template providers, and out of the box provider for the new SharePoint PnP Templates Gallery.
- Authorization layer to filter functionalities based on current user’s context.
- New Governance tools like:
- Capability to apply company-wide branding (logo, color palette, fonts, background image, JS embedding, etc.) for sites and sites collections created, as well as for already created ones.
- Capability to refresh/update templates for sites created with the PnP Partner Pack v. 2.0 in order to support solutions lifecycle management.
- Asynchronous batch creation of site collections, based on an input XML file.
- Implementation and UI changes:
- Updated to the latest release of PnP Core component and support for latest functionalities.
- Fully re-branded using Office UI Fabric styles.
- New set of MVC rendering templates supporting Office UI Fabric common components.
- New People Picker control based on Office UI Fabric and Microsoft Graph.
This is similar effort as what PnP initiative previously has done with the PnP CSOM Core Component together with community.
You can read more details around the v1.0.4 capabilities from following release blog post at MSDN or from GitHub wiki pages:
- PnP JS Core Library – GitHub Wiki pages
Here’s updates cross the PnP code sample library by the community on the code and documentation, which is great way to contribute as well.
- PnP Core: Lots of re-factoring done to improve code quality and completeness:
- provisioning engine updates (see above)
- Added support to set icon for weblogin form
- Updates for timerjob framework related on app-only handling with SPO and on-premises versions
- General bug fixing, performance and quality improvements
- Updated to use latest CSOM version for SharePoint Online
- Automated documentation updated to md file
- Removal of deprecated methods (methods are 2 releases in the code after deprecation)
- Build and test automation improvements with unit test changes
- All PnP Core Nuget packages (Online, SP2013 and SP2016) updated with new version
- Official v1.0.4 version released as npm package – check more details from following blog post
- New sample react-officegraph which illustrates how to Office Graph with SharePoint Framework (SPFx) client-side web parts
- New sample angular-ngofficeuifabric-todo which illustrates how to build SharePoint Framework (SPFx) client-side web part using Angular and ngOfficeUIFabric
- New sample WebHooks.List which is a reference implemention on making use of SharePoint webhooks in your applications
- New sample SharePoint.React.SupportTicket which illustrates how you can quickly build and package React forms with validation and send form data to a SharePoint list via the REST API
- New sample Provisioning.PnPDeployer.Console is a console application that makes it easy to deploy artifacts to SharePoint OnPremise/Online. Based on the PnP Provisioning Engine, it wraps the engine’s main functionnalities and provides a new layer responsible for handling tokens, authentication, sequences and logging.
- New Solution Business.O365StarterIntranet Intranet projects shouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel every time for basic features (like navigation or multilingualism). This solution aims to provide the fundamental building blocks of a common intranet solution with SharePoint Online/Office 365 through a lightweight client side solution using the latest web stack development tools and frameworks.
- New Solution SharePoint.SandBoxTool which is a command line utility you can scan, download, analyze and if possible fix the sandbox solutions in your SharePoint environment. This tool uses multi-threading to improve performance, uses app-only permissions to be able to access all sites and can deal with throttling in case that would happen.
- Updated solution AspNetCore.Authentication An ASP.NET Core implementation of the TokenHelper and SharePointContext classes for use in SharePoint Apps. This library (and sample) demonstrates how to get ASP.NET Core provider-hosted apps authenticated through SharePoint. Updated to align with ASP.NET Core RTM version.
- Updated solution Provisioning.VSTools to support VS2015, including numerous improvements
- Updated PnP-PowerShell Commands with new CommandLets and with few fixes
- Overall quality improvements and bug fixes
- Added ClientTag based usage tracking for metrics
- Updated Set-SPOTheme to support theme reset
- Updated Set-DefaultColumnValues to support column defaults also for choice fields
- Updated Apply-ProvisionignTemplate to support in-memory templates
- Updated Add-SPOField to support associating site column to a list in sub site
- Updated Add-SPOFile with better file handling logic with different file statuses
- Updated Add-NavigationNode to fix issue with relative URLs
- Added support for latest CSOM
- Updates on the test cases
- Updated help details for CmdLets
- Updated documentation for CmdLets
- Updates to the PnP Partner Pack
- As mentioned in specific chapter